Gartner Research Report
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak: Short- and Long-Term Actions for CIOs
With the Corona Virus pandemic disrupting operations world over, businesses around the globe are experiencing testing times. Gartner has published Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak: Short- and Long-Term Actions for CIOs, a research that talks about the way forward. This report aims to help CIOs handle their enterprises during this emergency, take the necessary steps to ensure business continuity, and prepare to bounce back in the future.
This report addresses the impact areas and provides recommendations for CIOs on how to respond to COVID-19. The report recommends a two phased action plan as given below:
Short term actions
- “Source interim digital collaboration tools to enable employees to work remotely, ensuring security controls and network support are in place.
- Work with business leaders to conduct workforce planning to assess risk and address staffing gaps. Reprioritise demand and balance staff by shifting personnel from areas of lower priority.
- Engage customers and partners via digital channels to maintain relations. Repackage product offerings and sell through digital channels.
- Establish a single source of truth and communicate that to employees.
Long term actions
- Develop a digital workplace strategy that includes collaboration applications, security controls, bring-your-own-device (BYOD) programs and network support.
- Identify alternative employment modes and digital technologies that can empower employees and automate tasks.
- Develop digital product extensions, expanding to new channels and enabling new business models to increase business resilience and prepare for growth.
- Contribute to data-for-good programs to improve data literacy and increase adoption of a wider range of data and analytics tools.”
This report digs deep into the outbreak and various levels of impact it has had on enterprises, and addresses each of these impacts with recommendations to CIOs on how to respond, both immediately and at a later stage. To enable CIOs to not only respond to the emergency outbreak of COVID-19, but also demonstrate leadership to increase business resilience and prepare for rebound and future growth, this Gartner report has top recommendations backed by extensive research.
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally, and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
Gartner Inc., Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak: Short- and Long-Term Actions for CIOs, 4 March 2020, G00720647.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.