Digital transformation is something we have been hearing of time and again; increasingly so over the last couple of years. The latest buzz accompanying this transformation journey is citizen development. So, who are citizen developers and why is the world preaching the benefits of citizen development?
Anybody within an organization who has access to an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a citizen developer. They have the ability to create and deploy unique web and mobile applications through the IDE. The visual development environment allows one to drag-and-drop components, connect them, and develop apps.
Thanks to these low-code and no-code platforms, amateurs without professional developer experience can build engaging applications that match business requirements.
What are the benefits?
The advantages of adopting low-code multi-experience development platforms (MXDPs) are enormous. Here’s why businesses are increasingly going low-code:
- Onboarding professional developers is an expensive affair. With low-code platforms, one won’t need to hire too many developers with extensive experience because of the citizen developer advantage.
- Not only are expenses reduced; with citizen developers, but you can also accelerate the digital transformation journey of your business as the number of people involved in the development process are much broader with low- and no-code platforms.
- These platforms come with built-in Agile development tools, ensuring better collaboration between internal departments. These tools facilitate collaborative creation of new features and functionalities for applications.
- These development tools also drive the desired results as the collaboration brings the business and development ends together, and the new functionalities are developed keeping the specific business requirements in mind.
- Low-code and no-code platforms mean rapid application development. With the visual development process, code libraries and prebuilt modules, citizen developers are able to build apps quicker than developers.
- These platforms take the load off the IT department; professional developers can help them focus on backlogs and in increasing the overall productivity of the organization.
Why citizen developers?
The citizen developer movement continues to steadily garner support – and rightly so. Citizen developers are allies of the IT department. Powerful development platforms and tools empower people with no coding experience to create applications without depending on IT or ever writing a single line of code.
Citizen developers help solve business problems. They get the job done, get applications to market quicker, and increase the efficiency of the organization. Also, these developers create apps keeping the end-customer in mind, increasing the success of the apps and thus benefiting the business.
There is huge potential in low-code and no-code platforms, and enterprises should be able to reap the benefits that MXDPs have to offer. Take the free trial and see how Neutrinos can help you with its low-code rapid application development platform.
Broader or leaner?